Ahoy, Mateys! Lookin’ to perfect your pirate look or spruce up the ol’ sailor’s wardrobe? Look no further than this blog filled with treasured advice, tips, and tricks on doing just that! Become a pirate, that is.
We know a thing or two about dressing like a pirate, after all – we are pirates aboard the Pirate Ship Royal Conquest! Believe it or not, there are guidelines on how to look like a pirate without looking cheesy, and we can help you avoid all the pitfalls.
Let’s take a gander at what it takes to look like a seaworthy pirate who’d be welcome aboard any galleon!
How to make yourself look like a pirate?
To achieve that salty, weathered look, a bit of makeup goes a long way. Here are some makeup tips to consider:
- Bronzer or Brown Eye shadow – Apply bronzer or brown eye shadow to create the appearance of sun-kissed, wind-battered skin.
- Eyeliner or Eye shadow – A bit of black eyeliner or eye shadow can add depth to your eyes and create the illusion of a rugged lifestyle.
- Teeth Stains – Pirates rarely had the luxury of dental care, so a touch of brown or yellow makeup on a few teeth can make you look more authentic.
- Fake Tattoos – Temporary tattoos with nautical themes like anchors, skulls, or mermaids can add more detail to your pirate persona. If you have real tattoos, now’s the time to show them off!
How do you style your hair like a pirate?
Pirates often had long, unkempt hair and rugged beards from their days at sea. Let it flow freely if you have long hair, or tie it back with a leather cord or bandanna. For those without long hair, a wig or hair extensions can help achieve that pirate look.
When it comes to facial hair, consider growing a beard or stubble. If not, you can find a realistic stick-on beards or use makeup to create a scruffy, pirate-worthy look.
How to layer a pirate outfit?
The foundation of any excellent pirate look is the clothing. Pirates typically wore a miss-match of clothing scavenged from various sources, so feel free to mix and match. Here are some essential clothing items to consider:
- Breeches or Trousers – Opt for loose-fitting, weathered, or distressed pants. Dark colors like brown or black work well.
- Shirt or Blouse – Choose a loose, billowy shirt for that authentic pirate vibe. White, off-white, or beige shirts with ruffled cuffs are ideal.
- Vest or Waistcoat – Layer a vest or waistcoat over your shirt. This adds a touch of rugged elegance to your look.
- Boots – High-leather boots or boot covers are a must. They should look worn and battered from a life at sea.
- Belt – A wide leather belt with a large buckle is a pirate staple. Use it to cinch your waist.
- Accessories – Don’t forget a bandanna or scarf tied around your head or worn as an eyepatch. Add a tricorn hat for that classic pirate silhouette.
For an authentic look, distress your clothing and accessories. Use sandpaper or a cheese grater to create worn patches on your pants and vest. Add fake bloodstains or dirt for that battle-worn appearance.
How to accessorize a pirate outfit?
Pirates loved their accessories, often collected from their adventures. Here are some items to complete your pirate ensemble:
- Pirate Jewelry – Rings, earrings, and necklaces with skulls, bones, and other nautical symbols are perfect for enhancing your look.
- Pirate Weapons – If your costume event allows it, consider adding a fake pirate sword, dagger, or flintlock pistol to your outfit.
- Treasure Chest – Carry a small chest or pouch with fake gold coins or gemstones. It adds an element of fun and authenticity to your look.
- Compass and Map – Hang a compass or carry a tattered map, and you’ll instantly look like you’re searching for buried treasure. Bonus points for digging in potted plants or chasing pets at a house party.
How to talk and act like a pirate?
To immerse yourself in the pirate persona, learn key phrases and adopt a hearty pirate accent. Practice enthusiastically saying “Arr, matey!” and “Shiver me timbers!”. A swaggering, confident attitude is essential for selling your pirate look.
To refine your look and swagger, draw inspiration from iconic pirate characters in movies like Captain Jack Sparrow from “Pirates of the Caribbean” or Long John Silver from “Treasure Island.” You can also research historical pirates like Blackbeard, Anne Bonny, and Calico Jack to add historical accuracy to your costume.
Test Your Look: Dress Rehearsal
Before the big day or event, have a dress rehearsal. Put on your entire pirate ensemble, practice your pirate phrases, and fine-tune your swagger. This will help you feel more comfortable and confident when you step into the spotlight and give your neighbors a few hours of entertainment.
Most importantly, stay in character throughout the event once you’re all decked out as a pirate. Engage with other party goers, share your tales of adventure, and keep the pirate spirit alive.
The Bottom Line
The most important tip for nailing the perfect pirate look is to have fun. Embrace the sense of adventure and mischief that comes with being a pirate. Your enthusiasm and commitment to your character will make your look all the more convincing and enjoyable.
So, there you have it, matey! With these tips and tricks, you’re on your way to nailing the perfect pirate look. Whether you’re setting sail for a costume party, pirate-themed event, or just a day of swashbuckling fun, embrace your inner buccaneer, and let your pirate persona shine. Arr, the pirate life awaits!
Embrace your inner pirate for a day on the Royal Conquest at Sunshine Scenic Tours.
As you step aboard our renowned Pirate Ship at John’s Pass, the salty sea breeze and creaking timber will swiftly transport you to a bygone era. With Sunshine Scenic Tours, you’re not merely a spectator – you immerse yourself in the authentic pirate’s life, if only for a day. Hoist the sails, shout “Ahoy!” and embark on an unforgettable adventure. Don’t wait; reserve your spot now and plunge into a swashbuckling thrill with us!