Ahoy, matey! Are you excited about Halloween? If you answered yes, then you must be thinking of unique costume ideas to wear. If you’re sick of the usual witch, ghost, vampire, fairy, and superhero costumes, why not throw a swashbuckling pirate-themed Halloween party for you and your friends to enjoy?
Sunshine Scenic Tours is here to make it a realistic experience with a 46-foot pirate ship. To make your party more fun and exciting, take a look at some of the best pirate Halloween costume ideas we’ve gathered.
Do-It-Yourself Pirate Costume Ideas
Sure, a store-bought pirate costume looks great, but why not create one that will make you stand out? If you don’t know where to start, here are some ideas and tips on how to make a pirate costume:
1. Women’s Pirate Costume
If you want your costume to stand out, imitate the look of the most notorious female pirates in history like Mary Read and Anne Bonny. Here are the things you’re going to need:
- Headwear: You don’t have to spend money on a headdress. Go ahead and check your dresser for a red and white striped bandana. If you don’t have one, a shirt with the same pattern will do.
- Tops: For your top, look for an off-shoulder blouse or shirt with laces. Don’t worry if you don’t have one. You’ll look like you’re ready to sail even with just a plain white shirt.
- Outer Layer: Although female pirates conceal their sexuality by wearing the same clothes as male pirates, you can level up your look with a red or black corset. You can also wear a short-sleeved brown leather jacket as an alternative to the waistcoat they wore.
- Bottoms: Most female pirates wear trousers or breeches, but you can also wear a pair of ripped leggings or a laced black skirt. Either way, these pieces of clothing are easy to find.
- Footwear: For your footwear, you can wear either black boots or leather sandals. Pair these shoes with long striped socks.
2. Men’s Pirate Costume
For male pirates, there’s no one else to imitate but the famous Jack Sparrow. It’s hard to top Johnny Depp’s acting skills, but thankfully, it’s easy to copy his look with a pirate Halloween costume DIY. Here’s what you need to prepare:
- Headwear: Prepare a tri-fold leather hat. Fret not if you don’t have one. Check out this simple and easy DIY guide to make one. It doesn’t have to be leather. As long as it’s brown and you wear it with confidence, you’ll still look like Johnny Depp.
- Tops: Check your closet for a long-sleeved lace-up shirt. If you don’t have one, a long-sleeved white shirt will do. Follow this two-minute guide on how to transform it into a lace-up shirt.
- Outer Layer: Wear an old or rugged, long black waistcoat paired with a thick brown leather belt for the outer layer. You can also look for or create a DIY leather sash, scabbard, and sword to copy Jack Sparrow.
- Bottoms: You can wear a pair of black pants, trousers, breeches, or leggings. Make sure that it looks old or rugged for a more realistic pirate look.
- Footwear and Accessories: Although you can wear leather boots or sandals, try to look for a pair of knee-high brown velvet boots.
3. Kids’ Pirate Costume
If you’re planning to bring your kids, take a look at these pirate costume ideas:
- Headwear: Make your kid the skipper of the crew with a red bandana. A handkerchief or a plain red cloth will do.
- Tops: For the top, prepare a white dress shirt with ruffles. You can make DIY ruffles by cutting and sewing a white handkerchief.
- Outer Layer: A blue, black, or brown waistcoat is enough for the outer layer. You can also tie a red scarf around the waist.
- Bottoms: For the bottom, you can make them wear a pair of knee-long black shorts. Black pants or trousers will do the job as well.
- Footwear and Accessories: Footwear can be any pair of shoes or sandals as long as it’s black. As for the accessories, you can create a sword and an eye patch. You can also make your kid wear gold necklaces.
- Headwear: For girls, either a bandana or a pirate hat is fine. Here’s a quick tutorial on how to make a DIY pirate hat for kids.
- Tops: The top can be as simple as a plain white shirt. It can also be a black and white striped shirt.
- Outer Layer: A leather waistcoat can be a great outer layer for a white shirt. If your kid doesn’t have a leather waistcoat, a black one will do.
- Bottoms: For the bottom, a black tutu skirt is among the best options, but a simple skirt is great as well.
- Footwear and Accessories: When it comes to footwear, a pair of black boots or shoes will do. For the accessories, prepare an eye patch and a few pieces of doubloon.
Get Ready for a Pirate-Themed Halloween Party
Now that you have some pirate costume ideas, you’re ready to go to a pirate-themed Halloween party.
At Sunshine Scenic Tours, you can rent our Royal Conquest Pirate Ship to make your party more special. Our pirate ship is coastguard-inspected, making it safe for all types of activities, whether parties or cruises. We also offer dolphin cruises in St. Pete Beach, FL, and other nearby areas. Don’t hesitate to contact us for inquiries. Call us today!